The Startup and CSI Development Flagship Program aims to promote the growth of vibrant and sustainable startups and CSIs contributing to the overall socio-economic development.
Startup and CSI Development Flagship Program
Entrepreneurship Culture ( Skills Development & Infrastructure)
- The Government has approved autonomy of Startup Center at Changzamtog.
- Five Business Incubation Centers were established (GCBS, CST, CNR, JNEC and Sherubtse College).
- Digital Fabrication Laboratory establishment in the two colleges (CNR and JWPTI): completed for JWPTI, Gelephu.
- Completed establishment of CSI Estate, Tsirang. Land allotted for 9 CSIs engaged in production and manufacturing sectors.
- Provided Entrepreneurship Development Training to 1321 potential entrepreneurs.
Entrepreneurship and Innovation integration in School Education
The integration of entrepreneurship in school education was mainly to encourage creativity, innovation, critical and entrepreneurial thinking from a very early stage of education starting from Key stage I to V to make education more vibrant in the 21st Century.
Memorandum of Understanding signed on integration of Entrepreneurship in School Education amongst REC, DSE, MoE and DEHR, MoLHR on February 9, 2021.
Entrepreneurship Education Capacity Development
A total of 80 Commerce Teachers were trained on Business and Entrepreneurship Education Curriculum of Thimphu, Wangduephodrang, Trashigang and Paro Dzongkhags.
Legal and Policy Framework
Revised Cottage and Small Industry (CSI) Policy 2019
Launched the CSI Policy 2019 during the Bhutan Economic Forum for Innovative Transformation (BEFIT) Conference held on July 16, 2019. The revised CSI Policy 2019 as a part of Startup and CSI Flagship program aims to further improve the policy and regulatory environment to accelerate the growth of the CSIs in the country. The Policy focuses on the six main domains of the entrepreneurship ecosystem and will be implemented through a series of action plan covering the entire period of the Policy.
Conducted three CSI forums on the theme ‘access to finance’, access to market, and market linkages with National CSI Development Bank/ Financial Institutions, entrepreneurs, relevant entrepreneurship support institutions.
Completed Diagnostic Study on the Informal Sector in 12 Dzongkhags.
Human Capital Development
- 269 CSIs have been trained in packaging, business management, floriculture and digital marketing.
- Trained 175 artisans in new product development in 6 clusters of APIC till date.
- 5 members of FGs/Coops were trained on post-harvest capacity building and equipment handling. 101 members trained at Paro (10 FGs/Coop) and Gelephu on clean milk processing and mandarin.
- 338 members trained on onion curing and dairy product at Pemagatshel and Lhuntse.
- Launched 32 new CSI Products for new/startups to have access to the market.
- Established Clusters Outlet at Craft Market to market products of clusters’ members during the pandemic.
- Established Common Facility Center for textile clusters at Radhi, Trashigang.
- Established Central Yarn Bank at Thimphu.
- Developed standards for 20 products of the flagship program.
- Certification for 6 CSI products completed [concrete blocks, pencil, raw silk, incense, hand-made paper, sanitary pads].
- 3 major equipment supported at National Food Testing Laboratory, Yusipang for testing of CSI products.
Business Development Support
CSI Technology Request Database
Completed the development of the CSI Technology Request Database online system and uploaded 178 products in the system till date. The online database can be accessed from www.dcsitechnology.bt
Equipment/Technology Support to CSI Entrepreneurs
- 413 CSIs supported with machinery and equipment under Industrial Development Grant Scheme, Essential Service Scheme and Innovation Voucher Scheme.
- 64 FGs/COOPs supported through value addition equipment.
- 10 textile clusters supported with pre-loom and dyeing equipment at Trashigang, Bumthang, Lhuntse, Samdrupjongkhar and Pemagatshel.
Business Advocacy Workshops
Provided Business Advocacy Workshop to 656 participants on various support under flagship program and licensing procedures. Participants included oversea returnees, unemployed youths and TTI students.
Business Advocacy Workshop at TTI, Thimphu
Business Advocacy Workshop at TTI, Chumey, Bumthang